All photographs and text on this blog are copyrighted and the property of the owner of "Wild Winns" - unless otherwise stated. No materials may be copied, reproduced, or used in any way without permission of the owner of this blog.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The pick up

Well went up yesterday afternoon to get the boys from camp. Got there about 4:30 and they weren't back from their last activity so I started to break down the tent for them. I was shocked to find as much water in the tent as I did. It wasn't too bad but apparently it leaks at the seems. Guess we need to get it dried out and get some waterproofing spray so it's ready for when Kyle goes up in July. Also we need to buy a bigger tent so we can all sleep in it. We are thinking about maybe a 2 room tent. But definitely something bigger.
The boys showed up and we got all the stuff loaded just in time. It started raining, yet again!
We sat in the camp tent and talked to a few of the dads and boys and waited to see if they were going to have the closing campfire or not. They decided to have it but in the mess hall. It was just too wet outside and just won't stop raining long enough to start a fire. So we headed down. But getting there was another story. When I got to camp I parked next to Chuck's truck and didn't even think about where I parked.
Wet ground + wet leaves + slight down hill grade = STUCK VAN! oops!
Chuck got the truck out and pulled up behind me and hooked up the tow strap to pull me out. All was going well until the hook he used (the tie down hook for transport) broke and the hook grabbed my bumper and then proceeded to pull the bump off the driver's side and flung the tow hook in the air. Everyone was freaking out about the van and I was freaking out about did anyone get hurt?
Total mom thinking vs total man thinking
Pop the bump back into place and find a new place to hook up. I think he used the spring of some sort. That worked and he pulled me right out. Off down the hill to the mess hall.
Get there and they have already started but we snuck in and sat with the pack. OMG it was just too funny. The songs, oh the songs!
After the show we headed home. Took us 15 minutes to say goodbye to the boys that were staying the last night but we finally got to the car. As we are pulling out Chuck tells me to roll down the window and he tells me Jason was in the back seat crying. He didn't want to leave. He loved it there. Hell even Chuck had a great time. Even with all the rain they had and being dripped on in the tent. And that says a lot!
Also found out Jason is a great archer. Is that right? He made a bulls eye
He also did BB guns and apparently is good at that too.
They also helped clean out a ditch to earn their Earth Conservation patch (I think that is right) and he really worked he butt off.
He had to set the table for dinner the last night and they worked so fast that they were done before dinner was.
I'm sure I'm missing a lot more of all they did up there in the 2 short days they were there but they were talking so fast about everything they did I could hardly keep up.
They are already talking about next year. They have another Father/Son Camp out in October.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Glad they had a great time!